Friday, November 12, 2010

Half-Marathon

Derrick invited me WAY back in January to run a half marathon for our anniversary in September. I thought it was a great idea so we both started training. I found out that running isn't my favorite thing to do but wasn't too bad. Derrick fell in love with running and wants to run all the time.

We ran our half down in Colorado Springs. My brother and his wife helped us out with the kids so we could do it. We woke early in the morning and ate some breakfast and got ready to go.

We did really well. Derrick ran with me the whole time...he could have finished much faster but thought that since we were doing this for our anniversary then he would help me get across the finish. I thought I was pretty prepared but the run was painful. We never walked and kept going the whole time! It was pretty awesome. One of my favorite parts was on the last quarter of a mile our son Tony ran with us for a little bit. He was so cute saying "you can do it". For the last couple of miles it felt like I was running in place. I commented to Derrick during the race about it and he said "yeah we aren't moving very fast". But we kept moving :) It took me a while to recover while Derrick was just fine. Good thing he was with me so that he could drive back and stuff. I was so out of it it was kinda crazy.

Derrick is planning on doing a marathon next year. Hopefully it will all go well for him. I am perfectly content to sit on the sidelines and cheer! I wouldn't mind running another half just to show myself that I can recover better then I did on this last one.

No comments: