Monday, May 9, 2011

Roller coaster

Sawyer and Briggs day 3.

Sawyer still wasn't responding to the CPAP like the doctors were wanting him to so they switched him to a respirator around noon. His poor body has been working so hard to breathe for 3 days that it was such a relief to see him calm and not stressing that even though this is another step towards the machine breathing for him, he is doing better. The machine is set to breathe for him 50 times per minute and anything over and above that he is doing by himself. He was breathing about 57 times per minute and doing great. He is breathing with 70%oxygen help...so much better than yesterday. Overall, Derrick and I feel that this is what he needs to get better.

Briggs is doing well. The IV got moved from his head to his foot and they are trying to wean him off oxygen from the CPAP . They will let Briggs breathe regular air (which is 21% oxygen). He is at 27% right now. He started gavage feedings of 5ml every 3 hours. I am so happy that all the milk I've been pumping and all that wonderful collostrum is being put to good use. He loved his first feeding and I am eager to keep up pumping for them. Sawyer will hopefully be able to start garage feedings tomorrow.

I am being released from the hospital tomorrow and then will get to figure out the back and forth between home and hospital. I will hopefully be able to

3 comments:

Amy said...

Just read your blog. I wanted you to know we're praying for you and your boys and hoping that all will be well.

Danny,Vycci and Kids said...

I am glad to hear 1 of them is doing so well, hopefully the other will follow! We're still praying for you and the family!

Julie said...

Congratulations on the twins. I would like to help you out with the kiddos so you can get to the hospital. Just let me know. Julie Sessions