Sunday, May 15, 2011

Special night

Last night I was counting all my bottles (the hospital gives out disposable ones that I pump into) to see if I had enough to make it through the night and day today. We are going to visit the babies later today than we normally do so I was nervous that I wouldn't have enough. It was a good thing I counted because I needed to pick up some more. I told Derrick that we didn't have enough...and he looked at me and asked, "Are you sure you didn't pick up enough bottles on purpose so you could go back later??" He laughed and I didn't forget them on purpose but I wasn't gonna complain :) He had to get the boys ready for bed with baths and everything so I called up a friend of mine to give me a ride to the hospital to get them. She graciously offered to help and let me know that we could stay as long as I wanted.

While we were there, I was able to feed both Sawyer and Briggs. I really had an opportunity to bond with Sawyer. He has been hooked up to oxygen for so much longer than Briggs that I haven't had the same holding time for him. He was so alert and loved to listen to my voice. At one point during the feeding, he filled his diaper so we had to change him. He got upset and so after his diaper was changed, I picked him up and nestled him to my neck. He stopped crying instantly. It was so nice to know that he remembers who I am and can remember my voice. It was a really special night for me. There is something so precious as a newborn that just stares into your eyes...and I get 2 babies doing that for me. I am so lucky.

Briggs was as cute as ever and he did so good on his bottle. They have both made it back to their birth weights. Thanks so much to all those that have helped out. This has been challenging for me to leave my babies at the hospital and so many people have made it a little easier to get through. Hopefully we will get good news soon that they are coming home.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

yeah I love reading how they are getting stronger and stronger.
I have some food for ya, I'll call to set up a time to drop it off!

Katie said...

Sweet babies! I am so happy for you!

Cervantes Family said...

It's so nice you got to have some special moments with your babies. I'm glad they are getting better too and you will be able to have them home soon! I still can't believe you have 5 boys! wow.