Sunday, May 8, 2011

Welcome Sawyer and Briggs Johnson!

Well we have 2 new boys to add to our family. Sawyer B and Briggs S. Sawyer was born at 11:43am and Briggs at 11:44am on May 6th. I am not sure where to start...I am still in the hospital and trying to post this on my mom's IPad. They both weighed 6 lbs 3 oz. Both boys ended up in the NICU for fluid in their lungs. Unfortunately they got steadily worse with needing help with breathing. It seems that whatever Sawyer does Briggs is soon to follow. We are not allowed to hold them or touch them right now because it stresses them out too much. The neonatalogist finally decided this morning that both boys needed catheters into their belly buttons because they were having a difficult time getting IVs in their tiny veins. I guess that an IV will deteriorate in about a12hours and need to be replaced. Poor Sawyer was poked 6times before they decided that catheters were a better way to go.

Both boys were steadily needing more oxygen and a higher flow of oxygen. Sawyer was on 100% for a little while. Briggs was sitting at 60%. They decided to do a CPAP (Continuous Positive Airflow Pressure) on both boys (hopefully I get all the right information and spelling down). The CPAP forces air into their lungs and so they stay open. They also are giving them surfactant (sp?) which also helps their lungs stay open. It was explained to me as they are trying so hard to breathe. It is like they are trying to blow up a balloon that has not been blown up before. They have been breathing so hard and fast it is like they are trying to run a marathon. This proceedure helps them not work as hard to breathe. Because of all this, they haven't even tried letting them eat and are just giving them fluids.

Last night we were surprised that both my mom and Derrick's parents decided to come and see the boys. It has been really nice to have the extra support. My mom is staying with me until Monday at the hospital and Derrick's parents are at the house helping with our other boys. Derrick was able to give both boys priesthood blessings with his dad. I know that God is watching over us and I feel His love so strongly. Sawyer and Briggs just need some time to get past this hurdle. They will probably be in the NICU for at least a week. The nurses are doing a great job and I am grateful for their care for our boys. Please think of the boys in your prayers.

5 comments:

Katie said...

Lots of hugs and prayers for you and those sweet boys. Sounds like they are in good hands. Please keep us on your 'anything you need' list. I would be honored to help out. Anything for those sweet babies!

We will keep you in our prayers!
Love,
Katie
ps-thanks for the update-I'll keep watching for more.

Cervantes Family said...

Rikki, Congratulations on your babies! I'm sorry to hear about their problems and will pray for them and you. I too know that God is watching over your family. I'm glad you have the support of your parents too.
Happy Mother's Day.

Danny,Vycci and Kids said...

Welcome to the boys! We will be praying for all of you! I know that Heavenly Father will bless you. Can't wait to see them. Happy Mother's Day!

Jen said...

Thanks for the update. You will all be in my prayers. HUGS!

Gates & Tausha said...

oh rikki...prayers prayers to your sweet newborns and to you and the rest of the fam as well...your trust in heavenly father is evident, and soon you'll be holding them close! not to be repetitive, but call me for anything!!!! :)