Saturday, May 14, 2011

The whole family!

We had an awesome morning this morning. The NICU lifted the RSV ban so siblings could come into the NICU. The boys were SO excited to meet Sawyer and Briggs at last. They were so good and were able to be "hands-on" with taking care of the boys. The nurse in this picture is Sarah. She has been wonderful and great with our babies. She is explaining to our curious 5-year-old how a tube down Sawyer's nose goes into his stomach and he can get some food that way.



Sawyer was a champ today in eating his bottle. He almost ate the whole thing. He was shy just a couple of mL. When they don't eat everything, the nurses put the rest down the feeding tube. Turner was lucky enough to be able to hold the syringe that had the rest of Sawyer's milk in it. Good job buddy! Sawyer has been doing amazing. He still isn't weaned off his oxygen but he is eating really well. If Briggs isn't careful, then Sawyer will catch up to him.




Tony was able to help do Sawyer's temperature also. Sawyer was not happy at all with that but Tony did a great job. Turner and Tony also got to listen to Sawyer's heartbeat. It was really nice of the Sarah to include them so much with helping.
Levi loved the babies. Here is Briggs. Levi was really interested in the feeding tube on Briggs. He loved looking and touching him. He did a great job at being very soft. I am so excited to bring the boys home and just get into the routine of everything.

I have been pumping like a mad woman to produce enough milk for these guys. I was nervous about being able to make enough because I wasn't able to nurse them and they couldn't nurse on demand. I know sometimes it is more difficult to build up a good supply when you have to pump and can't breastfeed. I am doing great though and making at least enough for both of them each time I pump and usually a half an ounce or more extra.



Levi here is showing us his muscles trying to pick up the milk in the little black bags.


Tony and Turner sitting in the rocking chair in the NICU. They were so good.


I have been waiting to hold both babies for so long (outside of the womb) and was able to hold them today. They unhooked Sawyer from his monitors for just a couple of minutes so we could take these precious pictures. Sawyer was so alert it was great to see. Sawyer here is the one looking at the camera.




I wish I had more pictures of Sawyer but we haven't been able to be as "hands-on" with him until now. He is doing so great. We will get a lot of pictures in the future I am sure.


The older boys watching mom feed Briggs.


Levi is being so soft with Briggs.


The whole family! Don't we have some handsome boys??...all 5 of them. Looks like the beginnings of a ton of fun at our house! (And I will be looking forward to those Father-son outings. Derrick will have so much fun with them.)




We don't have a FOR SURE date for when Sawyer and Briggs can come home with us but it is getting closer every day. I am so proud of all the progress they have made. I looked at Derrick while he was trying to hold Levi and let everyone look at Sawyer while I was feeding Briggs and I thought..."We are going to be really busy". It will be a wonderful busy...but it is little daunting to have so many wonderful boys to take care of.



5 comments:

Gates & Tausha said...

oh man this post got my tears going. i.am.SO.HAPPY to see you FINALLY holding your sweet newborn boys, and see the first official family picture. MAN how precious. you've got such a great attitude...i'm so excited for you to get nearer to bringing them home!!! AND...did you cut your hair? i LOVE IT!! so happy for you. call me for anything. :)

Meghan said...

Congratulations!! What a beutiful family. I am so glad Briggs and Sawyer are doing so much better.

Katie said...

Yay! Your family is beautiful! How fun to finally get a whole family picture. And your hair does look great! I am so proud of those sweet little boys and I can't wait for them to come home soon.

I wanted to tell you that Levi was so cute with Lottie. I made sure he got to spend some baby-practicing time with her and he was a sweetie. He followed her around for a while and helped her find toys to eat. He is going to be a great big bro to those boys.

BTW, did one of your boys snag one of your wedding bands and drop it in my car?

bell family said...

ooh you are so blessed. What cute boys you have. I always dreamed of having a house full of boys so much fun!!! Congrats hope you get to take them home soon. By the way you look great are you sure you just had twins?

arizonamama said...

Oh, I'm so happy for you guys. What a wonderful day! You are a beautiful family. I can understand why you would feel a little overwhelmed tho. That's gunna be a lot of work. Yes, it will be worth it but it's going to be a bit nuts! Five boys. Wow! So fun, fun, fun!